Report a crime online or call us on 101 or 999 in an emergency

Reporting lost and found property

Find out how you can report lost property.

Lost an item of property?

From Monday, 1 October, police forces across the United Kingdom will stop taking lost property reports. Follow the information below to find out how best to report your lost item. 


Firstly, think of the last place you saw the item and retrace your steps.

Where your item is serial numbered, we recommend that you register at free of charge.  This will help the police if your property is ever stolen. 

You can report any loss at a number of places online, for example: – Free service - Report My Loss allows you to print a numbered ownership certificate, confirming the details of the loss.  Please note that there is a fee for this service. – Free service

We recommend that you register and report the item lost at

If you have lost a mobile phone, there is no need to report the matter to a police station, unless the phone has been stolen and you are reporting a criminal offence by calling 101.

Please contact your service provider as soon as possible to have your phone account locked. Contact details can be found on your mobile provider’s website or in your local store.

Contact your debit/credit card provider to report the loss. They will be able to cancel the card and send a replacement.

Register the loss via the methods listed above. If you’ve lost your wedding ring, we’re afraid we can’t help with telling your partner!

If you have lost a dangerous or hazardous item (e.g. a firearm, weapon, poisons/chemicals) please call 999 immediately.

Lost UK passports must be reported to Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO). This can be done online here or by calling 0300 222 0000. They can be contacted between 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am - 5.30pm weekends and public holidays.

Lost foreign passports and identification must be reported to a police front counter. You must also inform the country of issue’s embassy or high commission. A list of embassy details can be found here.

Lost driving licences must be reported to the DVLA. Lost licences can be reported and replaced online via the DVLA website.

For bank cards or other official documents such as birth certificates, report the loss to the office that issued it.

If you have lost a dog, please contact your local authority dog warden. For any other lost animal, please contact the RSPCA or local vets.

If you're worried about an urgent medical concern, call 111 and speak to a fully trained adviser. For less urgent health needs, contact your GP or local pharmacist.

If you have found prescription medication, please hand this in to a pharmacy or your local GP.

  • Private property (e.g. a shopping centre or supermarket) – make direct contact with the company or contact the customer service desk for advice.
  • Public transport – contact the network service provider

I’ve found something

If you have found someone’s property you should contact your local police station, find your local police site here, call 101, or report online. You can hold onto the property found, on the understanding that if the owner comes forward you must hand it over. After 28 days the item becomes yours if nobody has claimed it. Any subsequent dispute over ownership could be resolved through the civil court.
You are not permitted to hold onto the property if there is reasonable belief that it is subject of crime or contains personal data (such as cameras, mobile phones, laptops). You would also not be able to keep any financial cards, any item that has a recordable medium, or any firearms, weapons or other dangerous items. These must be handed into a police station.

Exit this website