Report a crime online or call us on 101 or 999 in an emergency

Reporting social media offences

Find out how to report unpleasant or inappropriate posts on social media.

Unpleasant comments about people on social media sites are not dealt with by the police unless there is a criminal offence involved.

A criminal offence might include threats to kill, threats to cause damage, criminal conduct amounting to harassment and comments that incite racial hatred, violence or rioting. If this is the case call Surrey Police on 101 or report online.

For general unpleasant or inappropriate posts, in the first instance, you should contact the social media site on which the comments have been made and ask for their assistance. If you think you have been libelled to the extent you wish to take action then you should consult with a solicitor.

Exit this website