UPDATE: Man's body recovered from lake in Nutfield
The body of a man was recovered from a lake in Mercers Country Park, Nutfield Marsh Road, Nutfield, yesterday evening (25 June).
We were called by the ambulance service around 6.30pm reporting that a man had been seen struggling in the water.
Surrey Fire and Rescue Service’s water search team and Surrey Search and Rescue assisted in the initial search.
The body of the man, aged 31 and from Redhill, was recovered around 9.20pm by a team of divers from Specialist Group International.
The death is currently being treated as unexplained, although at this stage there is not believed to be any third party involvement and it is not believed to be suspicious.
The man’s next of kin have been informed. A post-mortem is due to be held in due course.
We had received several calls earlier in the day reporting that youths were swimming in the lake and behaving in an anti-social manner.
With the warm weather, we are reminding people of the dangers of swimming in open water.
Bodies of water may look safe, but can hide dangers such as hidden currents, hazardous objects, pollution and cold water shock, which affects our ability to swim and reach safety if experiencing difficulties. It can also be difficult to gauge water depth - you could find yourself in unexpectedly deep water or injure yourself jumping into shallow water.
Tips for staying safe include:
• Only enter water where there is adequate supervision and rescue cover;
• Don't swim near weirs, locks, pipes and sluices;
• Alcohol and swimming should never be mixed;
• Get out of the water as soon as you start to feel cold;
• Wear recommended safety equipment - for example life jackets and helmets;
• Don't jump or dive into open water when you are unsure of the depth and any submerged hazards;
• If you see someone in difficulty, dial 999;
• Throw something that will float to them. You may be able to lie down for safety and reach out to them with a stick, pole or item of clothing, but this should only be attempted if safe to do so without endangering yourself.